Fashion designing can loosely be defined as ‘the art of creating fashionable apparel’. With the passage of time, however, the concept of ‘fashion designing’ has extended to other fashion accessories like jewellery, bags, footwear and a lot more. Keeping in mind the evolution of fashion designing, it would not be wrong to define it as ‘the creation of fashion’.
Fashion designing is a glamorous career option for the aspirant although it has its share of disadvantages too. You do not have the comfort of a 9-5 job and have to word for longer hours to complete your collection. An individual also has to encounter cut-throat competition and is required to keep producing ideas that are out-of-the-box, which at times may become exhausting. Achieving financial stability and building reputation requires a lot of time and patience. However, with dedication and hard work, the road towards success is not far for a fashion designer.
Fashion designing has definitely come a long way from mere designing of trendy clothes. It has evolved into a full-fledged industry today and is accepted as a career option all over the world. Apart from designing, there are a number of other career alternatives that have emerged in this industry with the passage of time.
The origin of fashion designing dates as far back as 1826. Charles Frederick Worth is believed to be the first fashion designer of the world. He was earlier a draper and set up a fashion house in Paris. It was Charles, who started the tradition of fashion houses and told his customers what kind of clothing would suit them.
Are you thinking about how to become a fashion designer? Are you fond of sketching? If yes, then fashion designing is an exciting career choice for you. The study of fashion allows students to gain knowledge about fashion trends, sketching, selecting the right colours, fabrics, designs, apparel and accessories. Fashion designing is a popular career option for as many students are opting to study in this field. It involves creating new designs for clothes and accessories to make them more beautiful and trendy.
Here are three important tips to follow before starting a career in Fashion Designing:
Get a Fashion Degree
The best option is to get trained and gain the knowledge required to become a professional. You can join a Fashion Designing college in Hyderabad and learn from experts. Here you’ll get skilled, make some good contacts, get internships with top designing firms and a lot more.
Enhance Your Fashion Skills
You should have all the skills that are required to become a great fashion designer. As a designer, you should be able to creatively visualise and conceptualise designs. These may include drawing, a keen eye for colour, texture and mechanical skills required in sewing and cutting different types of fabrics.
Learn to Use the Right Fabric for Fashion Designing
Designers must have the right knowledge of fabrics, they should craft outfits keeping in mind the weather and comfort of clients. Once you are familiar with these, you’ll be able to design garments for all occasions. Fashion Designing colleges equip you with all the techniques that are required to choose the right fabric for a particular dress.
Some benefits of making a career in the field of fashion designing:
- Job Opportunities in Fashion: There is no doubt that there are plenty of career opportunities after you pursue fashion designing. With the increasing demand for fashion apparel and accessories in this world, the demand for designers has also increased. The fashion industry is growing at a fast pace and fashion designer jobs have increased with a huge rate. After you are done with your designing course, you still have plenty of opportunities like wholesalers, clothing retailers, fashion companies, fashion bloggers, store managers, editors, designing in manufacturing firms and working in the entertainment industry.
- Start Your Own Fashion Venture: Another very important benefit of pursuing fashion designing is that you can even start your own business in the same field. If you are famous, then you can launch our own fashion line, apparel company or a fashion store.
- Innovation in Fashion Design: The field of fashion is coming up with new innovations. Therefore, the job of fashion designing is extremely interesting as it involves creative thinking when the individual is coming up with a new outfit, style or design.
- Salary Packages for Fashion Designers: Lucrative salary is another factor that makes fashion designing an interesting career choice. Whether it is working under a reputed fashion designer, a fashion house or your own venture, you will never be disappointed with your salary. Moreover, as your work experience increases, the opportunities for learning and earning big will also increase. Fashion designer salary in India is decided based on the skills and experience of an individual.
- Work Culture in Fashion Design: Fashion designing is a field where you don’t have a regular 9-5 job. It will allow you to travel across the world to attend fashion events and shows. You will always be surrounded by fabrics, designs and everything fashion!
There are a number of art schools that offer degrees in Fashion Designing. It is no longer just about designing and creation of a garment, but it is a world in itself involving fashion, design, creativity, technology as well as business.
Join Hamstech and get a chance to learn from 4-time national award-winning designer and our celebrity mentor, Neeta Lulla. Gain insights into the industry through workshops, webinars, site-visits and our annual events. Enrol now to jumpstart your career in fashion!