Steering away from mainstream career options is an act of courage, bravery and above all, strength. While almost every set of Indian parents dream about their children becoming doctors, engineers, investment bankers etc., there are some Indians who had the fortitude to do something passionate, something creative!
Hamstech is a staunch believer of such people. At the Hamstech Institute, every student’s passion is zeroed in on and developed into a skill which can in turn become a prosperous career.
Perhaps that’s why, when students were joining engineering colleges and medical schools, Hamstech opened the gateway to creative professions through its Fashion Designing course.
Soon enough, this ideology mushroomed into a plethora of such offerings. Today, Hamstech is renowned for its Interior Designing degree and diploma, Jewellery Designing certification as well as a comprehensive Photography course.
Here, each individual enrols with only one objective: to stand by his/her choice and turn that choice into a successful career.
So here’s a tribute to some of the most famous Indian creators who made the same choice and reached the pinnacle of success:
FEARLESS FASHION ICONS
Neeta Lulla: Renowned Fashion designer Neeta Lulla began her career as an assistant to fashion choreographer, Jeanne Naoroji. Starting her fashion career in the late 80s, she has atleast 350 movies to her credit. Neeta Lulla also won her first National Award for the movie ‘Lamhe’ and from then on, there was no looking back.
Hailing from a middle-class Bengali family settled in Kolkata, Sabyasachi’s dream of becoming a fashion designer had its share of struggle cut out. His paretns wanted him to become an engineer and couldn’t construe their only son’s aspirations. Sabyasachi remained undeterred and pawned his cherished collection of books to enrol into NIFT and upon his graduation, he started his legendary and eponymous label.
He went on to work under Georgina Von Etzdorf and won laurels from Femina British Council . Today, he owns and runs one of the biggest brands of India and has won numerous awards for his work. He retails at all major stores across the nations.
INTREPID INTERIOR DESIGNERS
- Anjum Jung comes with over 2 decades of experience as an Interior Designer. Anjum proudly heads the Morph Design Company. She takes inspiration from both traditional and contemporary era, this is reflected with the countless national and international awards that she bagged over the years. Her strategic planning, project management capabilities and business development skills have been highly appreciated.
- Ajay Shah, a graduate from the National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad comes with over 20 years of experience as a renowned furniture designer. In 1990, Ajay started ‘Ajay Shah Design Studio’ (ASDS) offering his best designs to many boutique chains, food-courts, large stores, etc. He was awarded as the best retail designer of the year 2007-2008. In 2006 his creation ‘Picture This Studio Private Limited’ paved a way to being the best solution designs to his clients.
GEMS OF JEWELLERY DESIGN
Suhani Pittie is one of the leading jewellery designers of India. In the year 2004, Suhani came up with her own label ‘Suhani Pittie” and at a very early age of 20, she started her own training institute Calcutta. In a short span of time, Suhani was enlisted amongst the top 10 creative and brilliant jewellery designers of the world by the World Gold Council. She also won the SinGem Award for Excellencein the field of gemology.
- Nirav Modi is a globally acclaimed jewellery designer from Mumbai, India. His major source of inspiration comes from the museums and art galleries in Europe that he visited as a child. The ‘Nirav Modi’ jewels have been worn by many national and international celebrities like Kate Winslet, Lisa Haydon, Ashwariya Rai, etc. He is also known to be the first Indian jeweler to be featured in Christie’s and Sotheby’s Catalogues.
- Atul Kasbekar is a well-known fashion photographer, especially popular for his Kingfisher calander shoots. After his graduation from the US, Atul began his career as a photographer and started his studio with the name ‘Negative Space’. From 2003, Atul actively shot many Kingerfisher Calenders at various national and international locations. He is also the proud owner of Bling! Entertainment Solutions which started in 2007.
- Sooni Tarapurwala is best known as a screenwriter and photographer. Some of her best works include ‘Mississippi Masala’ and ‘The Namesake’ and she was also nominated for the Oscars ‘Salaam Bombay’. In 2004, Sooni’s coffee table photography book titled, Parsis: the Zoroastrians of India was released. In 2014, Sooni Tarapurwala was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
So what makes the above people different? How were they able to achieve heights of fame and fortune in spite of being a minority at the time?
The answer is simple: they all dared to dream!